Winter is an extremely trying time for most of us. Those three (or six) months of cold temperatures seem endless, but they can be less painful if you’re armed with a few life hacks to stave off frigid weather.
As a new year starts, here are 15 life hacks to add to your arsenal.
1. Spray nonstick cooking spray on your shovel and the snow will come right off every time.
2. To get more grip on slick surfaces, place a few zip ties on your bike tires for better traction.
3. Tired of always having wet socks? Slip a sandwich bag over each sock before putting your shoes on.
4. Shoe holders can also be used to organize scarves, you know.
5. Take shorter, lukewarm showers. You’ll avoid getting dry skin.
6. Put a piece of tin foil behind your radiator or space heater. If will reflect heat back into the house instead of losing it forever.
7. When you’re done cooking a meal in the oven, leave the door open. The heat will fill the house instead of being wasted.
8. Run your ceiling fan clockwise and on a low setting to push warm air back to floor level.
9. Leave your window shades and blinds open in the daytime to let the sun naturally heat the house.
10. Park the car with your windshield facing east so the sun can melt snow on the windshield and warm the car. You won’t have to blast the heater when you climb in.